The name Blackwell has been associated with bookselling since Benjamin Henry Blackwell opened his bookshop at
48-51 Broad Street, Oxford in April 1879. Since then the retail company he founded has grown into a nationwide chain
of bookshops serving the academic, professional and specialist markets.
At Blackwell UK Ltd we are proud of our traditions and history but are always looking to our future. It is the expertise,
talent and passion of our employees that makes us the leading academic bookseller in the UK.
Bookseller, Support staff and Shop Manager Positions
Our quest to find talented people who can provide exceptional customer service is at the forefront of our minds when we are recruiting.
We're looking for people who are fully motivated and passionate about books.
Head Office Opportunities
Our head office and warehouse are based in Oxford and offer a wide range of roles in sales and support functions.
Blackwell UK Ltd is fully committed to fairness and diversity in the workplace and respects individuality.
Customer Service Desk, Norrington Room, Broad Street, Oxford
£12,675 - £14,000 dependant on experience
We are looking for an energetic and enthusiastic bookseller to work in the Norrington Room, where we house one of the largest academic book offerings in the country.
As well as providing exemplary customer service you will need to be flexible, hard working and have a good knowledge of academic books. You will work at the Customer Service Desk, answering all types of queries, placing and chasing customer orders and offering help and advice to all our customers as well as serving on the till and general bookselling duties.
The bookshop has a full and varied calendar of events, bookstalls and author signings in which you will be expected to be an active contributor.
You will work approx 3 weekend days in every four weeks and also late shifts which finish at 6.30pm.
Prior experience in bookselling or retail would be an advantage but training will be provided.
Skills and Experience
- Consistently deliver a high standard of customer service.
- Problem solve customer queries.
- Merchandise stock and displays to a high standard.
- Be computer literate, operate the till and be able to use the internet/in store system to search for books.
- Ability to establish and build strong relationships internally and externally with a wide range of people.
- Good communication skills.
- Have a customer first mentality.
- Energetic with a positive ‘can do attitude’.
Email your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com
28th November 2014
Art & Poster Shop, Broad Street, Oxford
£17,000 - £25,000 depending on experience
We have an exciting permanent opportunity for an individual with strong Commercial and leadership skills to manage our Art and Poster Shop in Oxford.
The shop is located on Broad Street and has a turnover of just under £1 million. The Art and Poster shop has a thriving tourist and student market and has plenty of opportunities for developing new lines and sales strands.
It will be your responsibility to develop a strategy which will deliver profitable sales growth and to motivate and lead your team to deliver it.
Skills and Experience
- Consistently deliver all commercial KPI targets, which include sales, cost, profit and stock.
- Lead, inspire and develop the shop team to deliver exceptional performance and to fulfil their individual potential.
- Ensure exceptional customer service is consistently delivered.
- Source new sales opportunities and revenue streams.
- Develop the commercial and expert/specialist knowledge of your team.
- Deliver executional excellence in visual merchandising standards, product presentation and process management.
- Retail experience – at a management level.
- Experience of developing and implementing a local strategy, business plan and tactics.
- A record of business building and identifying and responding proactively to market/trading opportunities.
- Experience of leading, motivating and managing a team to deliver success.
- Accountability for managing a significant budget and strong prioritising and organisational skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Able to establish and build strong relationships internally and externally with a wide range of people and institutions.
- Knowledge of non-book (ie stationary/ cards/posters etc) buying which is a significant part of the shops revenue stream.
- High levels of confidence and personal energy, a positive ‘can do’ attitude and the ability to thrive in a high profile role.
Email your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
17th December 2014